United Way is an equal opportunity employer, offering competitive salaries and benefits and a friendly, diverse work environment.
JOB OPENINGS: When there are open positions at United Way, job descriptions and application instructions will be posted below.
POSITION AVAILABLE – APPLY BY DECEMBER 16, 2013
DIRECTOR, LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT
OBJECTIVE: Responsible for developing, managing and growing the leadership giving program in United Way including the Hamilton White Society and Alexis de Tocqueville Society. Responsible for managing the planned giving program. High-level confidentiality is required for access to information relating to UW and to the various donors.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Responsible to the President
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DIRECTOR, LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT POSITION EDUCATION/TRAINING:
- Work closely with volunteers to identify, cultivate and solicit major gift prospects and members.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase the number of Alexis de Tocqueville Society members.
- Develop and implement individual strategies to increase the level of gifts from all Society members based on capacity to give.
- Train, support and educate all United Way staff and volunteers on methods of integrating Leadership Gift Development to all areas of fund raising including the work place campaign.
- Coordinate the development of materials needed to promote the program.
- Manage the donor research and maintain accurate donor records, expand prospect lists and maintain donor profiles.
- Create and maintain society recognition programs.
- Lead in the continued development and implementation of a Planned Giving Program.
- Assist in additional divisional initiatives and projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum three years experience in a non-profit development position.
- Knowledge of the local community is very helpful.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS NECESSARY ON A REGULAR BASIS:
- Critical thinking and planning for finding creative approaches. Successful problem solving.
- Utilize planning, evaluation, and research skills. Detail oriented. Must be able to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Understand and work with fiscal information. Strategic planning for short and long-term efforts.
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and also able to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for constant telephone and in-person communication
- Strong oral and written English language skills for effective communication using excellent spelling, grammar and writing skills. Must be able to proof own work.
- MS Windows Word, Excel, Andar and Access. Will analyze and manage a variety of data. Must have the ability to learn new and/or customized software.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Speech and hearing sufficient for constant in-person and telephone communication.
- Vision sufficient for use of a computer monitor, reading various documents and maintenance of a New York State Drivers’ License.
- Manual dexterity sufficient for frequent use of a computer keyboard and other office equipment and for performing routine office functions, which may include the ability to stuff large quantities of envelopes or collate documents.
- Range of motion sufficient for unassisted movement within UWCNY and various public and private locations outside UWCNY.
- Ability to sit or stand at a desk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to travel in own vehicle to various locations within Onondaga County.
- Ability to lift and carry materials to a work location or the ability to place such materials on a handcart or other mode of assistance.
INTERNSHIPS: United Way offers internships to qualified student candidates. As positions open, descriptions will be added below.
We are not currently seeking interns.
Please note: We welcome resumes from qualified candidates applying for specific open positions, but we do not retain unsolicited resumes submitted for general consideration. We ask candidates to apply separately for each position for which they would like to be considered.